Sunday, January 29, 2012

First


So, here it is: my first blog. Oh how I’ve despised the thought of keeping up with a blog, being obligated somehow (by ALL the people I’m sure that will be reading this) to it and to feel guilty as soon as I miss a few weeks of writing. I love writing. Mostly for the sake of getting all my thoughts out on “paper” and being able to look back and see what has happened in more detail. My memory is not that good anymore. I blame my genes. So here I will be able to record all the happenings in the lives of my amazing husband and myself so that someday we can look back and say “wow! So glad we’re through that.” But seriously we are so excited about this adventure down in sunny southern California and are learning each day more of what it means to be a real Jesus follower.
Today was Sunday. We went to church for the first time since down here. It was weird. Not weird in the sense you might think. The service was actually quite normal, the people friendly, the worship Spirit filled and the pastor funny and yet serious. It was weird because it was the first time in a very long time that I didn’t know anyone. I knew Sean, but no one else. We walked in and got our seats. I went to the ladies room (I have a cold and have to blow my nose every three minutes). I saw a girl in there who was also blowing her nose. Normally I would have made some sort of silly comment like, “looks like we both have snotty noses” or “haha, you too?” but no. I just smiled and continued trying to make sure I left no remnants in my nasal passageways. Then quickly left the room thinking to myself “I really should have said something, right?” Ha! This is what it will be like until I meet people. I’m not really a shy person but I guess my childhood shyness still abides in me somewhere.
Since we got here we have done a few fun things:
Gone job hunting (three times), grocery shopping (with our awesome $50 a week budget), went for a couple jogs, hiked up at Santa Rosa Plateau, talked with our landlords and their kids, made breakfast, lunch and dinner a total of ten times so far (if you were counting we have been here since Tuesday night and all the other meals we ate out ;), church today, and watched about a dozen episodes of the Office.
It’s been quite uneventful. Every day Sean and I look at each other and say, “we need jobs.” I don’t think I’ve ever been so bored in my life. Not to be ungrateful, I am just really excited for school to start. Then I will probably think, how did I not appreciate all that free time. Truth is, I like to be busy. Rest is great, but too much of it is a pain.
I miss my friends. This one (pretty girl with me below) in particular. I know it seems like I’m complaining a lot. My next post will be all about how much I’m enjoying the amazing sunshine here and how thankful I am for the opportunity to go back to school and further more to do all of this with my best friend in the whole world! I really do love my life! This season will just be different, and different in a great way! I hope that I make friends soon. And I hope that they get my weird humor. I hate it when people think I’m serious when I’m joking. Ha! K, I guess I will write again soon. All you lovely people out there have a great day! ;)
                                                          

3 comments: